Sunday, January 13, 2013
Quinoa and Lentil Salad
Here is another quinoa dish that I made for a vegan potluck. This recipe is from 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness (links to Worldcat - get it at a library). The recipe is on page 148. It is a great source of protein with both Quinoa and Lentils! A nice lemon taste as well! Quinoa is a wonder food that I want to use more of this year!
2 cups Quinoa (to be cooked with 4 cups of water)
1 cup Lentils (to be cooked with 2 cups of water)
1/2 tsp Taragon
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
3 tbsp Lemon juice
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup Parsley, chopped
1. Prepare the lentils. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils and lower heat to a simmer. Cook lentils for 30 minutes and let cool.
2. Prepare the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Add to pan with two cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower to a simmer. Cook for 15-18 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from pan and let cool in a bowl.
3. Prepare dressing by whisking taragon, kosher salt, black pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and dijon mustard.
4. Once the lentils and quinoa are cool, mix together and add the parsley. Then add the taragon mix.
5. Refrigerate for an hour or more before serving.