Sunday, January 15, 2012
Adapted from a recipe from Martha Stewart's Everyday Foods.
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
3/4 pound spaghetti or other pasta
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
5 tbsp slivered Kalamata olives
2 cans (6 oz) chunk light tuna in water, drained
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook pasta as directed
3. In a food processor, pulse bread and 1 teaspoon oil until coarse crumbs form. Add salt and pepper to the mixture and pulse some more.
4. Place bread mixture on a baking sheet and bake until golden, tossing occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes.
5. As pasta is done, reserve 1/2 cup hot pasta water. Then drain pasta and add to a large serving/mixing bowl.
6. To the cooked pasta, add lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, olives, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix. Add water and tuna and mix. Add the breadcrumbs on top and you are ready to serve
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Adapted from a recipe at Busch's, an Ann-Arbor based grocery store that has great recipes to use. We served over brown rice and it was fantastic. This serves 4-6 people.
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
6 tbsp Soy Sauce
4 tbsp Dry Sherry or Cooking Sherry
2 tbsp Corn Starch
3 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts, cut into thin strips (1/4")
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper (or more to taste)
3 tbsp Peanut Oil (add more if needed or if using more vegetables)
1 tbsp Minced Fresh Ginger
2 tsp or two cloves Minced Garlic
3 cups Broccoli Florets
1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into strips
1 can (8 oz.) Water Chestnuts, Sliced
12 Ounces Fresh Mushrooms, stems removed and large ones cut in half.
3 Scallions, cut into 1" pieces
1. Whisk together stock, soy sauce, sherry and cornstarch until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add ginger and garlic and stir about 30 seconds. Add chicken to skillet and stir-fry until white, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add broccoli florets, bell pepper and water chestnuts and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and scallions and stir-fry an additional minute.
4. Add chicken stock mixture and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
Serve over noodles or rice. Enjoy!