Sunday, May 7, 2017
As family lore goes, the very first meal I made my wife while we were still dating was steak fajitas. Well, to put it more to the point, it was an attempt at making steak fajitas - a very poor attempt. (Cooking note - beef stew pieces do not belong in a fajita...ever). Luckily for me, she did not break up with me on the spot. Needless to say, I have gotten much better in the nearly 30 years since the steak fajita incident. Which brings me to this new recipe for sheet-pan chicken fajitas. I found this recipe on the excellent Eating Well site and adapted it to make it a bit less spicy and more to our tastes. I love Mexican food and this recipe recently made it into the magazine. And wow - this just came out fantastic. This will be a new favorite for sure. I think this would be great with either tortillas or over rice. This will get into the regular rotation for sure. And you make it all in a sheet-pan, so cleanup is a breeze!
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
2 Red bell pepper, sliced (use any color)
8 oz Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced to 1/4" thickness
1 - 1 1/2 cups Red onion, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 pound Chicken breast (boneless and skinless)
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp Chili powder
2 tsp Cumin, ground
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1 tbsp Lime juice
8 Tortillas (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place the cut bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions in a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally, then slice crosswise into thin strips. Then place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
4. Add olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, Kosher salt and black pepper to the mixing bowl. Blend thoroughly and spread in an even layer on the rimmed baking sheet.
5. Roast on the middle rack for 16-18 minutes. Leave the pan there and turn the broiler to high. Broil for an additional 6-7 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and use a slotted spoon to move fajitas to a serving bowl. Stir in lime juice.
Enjoy with tortillas or over rice!