This fall, I tried out a recipe for Baked Apple Pie Rolls that used egg roll wrappers as a crust. These were so excellent, that I started digging around and looking for a lower calorie egg roll that uses the same basic steps. I also drew inspiration from a few other recipes including one from the Spruce on making low calorie baked egg rolls and one from Dashing Dish. I loved, loved, loved the way these came out and they are very simple to use, especially if you start with a Asian Chopped Salad. I am not sure how many calories are here - but they are way better than restaurant egg rolls - so we can start with that. I probably need to get a picture of them open! But these are really great.
Ingredients (makes 8 pie rolls)
Olive oil spray
4 oz Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup Shrimp, cooked and chopped into 1/4" pieces
10.5 oz Asian chopped salad (around 3 1/2 cups)
1 tbsp Soy sauce
8 egg roll wrappers
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray pan with olive oil spray and place over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and saute for 7-8 minutes.
3. Add chopped shrimp and Asian chopped salad to the pan. Mix thoroughly and saute for 1-2 additional minutes.
4. Add soy sauce and saute for one minute more. Remove from heat.
5. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet - and lightly spray with olive oil.
6. Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean work surface with one corner facing you. Brush the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water. Using a large slotted spoon, place around 1/3 cup of the egg roll filling in the center of the wrapper. Take the corner facing you and fold it over the filling. Then fold both sides of the wrapper over the filling, then roll up as tightly as possible. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
7. Lightly spray the top of the egg rolls with olive oil.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for 10 more minutes.
Enjoy with plum sauce or Chinese hot mustard.