Saturday, February 4, 2012
Chicken, Shrimp and Sausage with Saffron Rice
Adapted from a recipe from Real Simple. This reheats very well and is great for lunch!
Ingredients (serves 6-7)
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper (adjust to taste)
1 chicken breast, cut in half and sliced 1/4 inch thick
16 oz Polish Kilbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup white wine
2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth or 4 cups chicken broth
24 saffron threads, crumbled
2 cups long-grain white rice
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup frozen peas
1. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil. Season the chicken with some of the salt and pepper and saute in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat for around 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan.
2. Heat remaining oil in the pan and add Kilbasa. Brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
4. Add the cooked chicken to the pan along with the wine. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the broth, saffron, remaining salt and pepper and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Stir the shrimp and peas into the rice, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.