Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Thai Sober Noodles


Thai Sober Noodles

Drunken Noddles have been a very favorite dish of mine and one that I have wanted to make. I probably did not push trying this before my son became enamored with this dish. Since I was making it for the whole family, I wanted to tweak the recipe to create a lower-heat version that we all could enjoy. I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart site that looked great. I supplemented it with some Thai cookbooks and worked on making it less spicy to match the tastes of family. I really liked the way it came out. I might play with it a bit - but for now - this is a really nice recipe for people who do not want something so spicy.

Ingredients
16oz Rice Noodles (large size - though it is not that critical)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Peanut oil (add more as needed)
2 tsp Garlic, chopped (or 2 cloves)
1 Green bell pepper, chopped
2 Chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Soy sauce (low-sodium)
1/4 cup Fish sauce
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 Red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
4oz Bean sprouts
1 bunch Basil, cut into strips (around a 1/2 cup)

Directions

1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add rice noodles and submerge in the boiling water. Remove from heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. After 5 minutes, drain.
2. Add 1 tbsp peanut oil (or canola oil) to a non-stick wok or large saute pan over medium-high heat.
3. Add green bell pepper and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce, fish sauce and oyster sauce and cook for 4 minutes.
6. Add red peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add drained rice noodles and bean sprouts and cook for 2 more minutes.
8. Remove from heat and add the shredded basil to the pan. Mix thoroughly and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment