Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mustard Chicken with Broccoli and Mushrooms


Mustard Chicken with Broccoli and Mushrooms

So here is the dilemma....I had chicken, I had broccoli and I wanted to make dinner. But I did not want to make another stir-fry (though they are quite good). So I could not find a recipe I really wanted to try - and low and behold, I decided to try one out from scratch. Well, maybe it was not completely from scratch - but a little bit here and there. And as is often the case - with Old Time Radio in the background, I started marking up a recipe. I was going to use honey - but I could not find it. So I added the maple syrup instead - and I really liked the little bit of sweetness it gave. Best of all, though I do not have the nutritional values - this appears to be pretty healthy. We only use 5 tsp of olive oil - so I have to feel pretty good about it. It had a really nice taste and it was different than a lot of things I make. So it is a great addition to the repertory. Enjoy this healthy dish with rice or potatoes.

Ingredients (served 3-4)

5 tsp Olive oil, divided
1/3 cup Dijon mustard (you can go up to 1/2 cup if you want)
1 tsp Tarragon, dried
1 tbsp Maple syrup (or honey)
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Kosher salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
2-3 cups Broccoli florets
8 oz Mushroom (stems removed)
2 tsp (or cloves) Garlic, chopped
Cooking spray or olive oil spray

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together 1 tsp olive oil, Dijon mustard, tarragon and maple syrup with a whisk. Set aside.
3. Cut chicken breasts in half and season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
4. Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes and then flip and cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
5. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Place chicken in the center of the pan and spoon mustard sauce on top. Cook for 7 minutes.
6. While the chicken is cooking for the first 7 minutes in the oven, add broccoli, mushroom caps, garlic, the remaining olive oil, kosher salt and pepper (to taste). Mix gently. At the end of the 7 minutes, add the broccoli mix to the pan along the sides and put back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment