Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chicken Tamale Casserole


Chicken Tamale Casserole

One of the dishes I really love when I eat Mexican Food are tamales. I know they are not really good for you - but man they taste great. So I was really excited when I saw this recipe for Chicken Tamale Casserole from my favorite magazine - Cooking Light. I made this the first time and just loved it. I tweaked it a bit to match my favorites and my tastes. I am going to make this again and this it would be great for any event where I have a dish to share.

Ingredients (serves 6)
1 cup Shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
1/3 cup Fat-free milk
1 Large egg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of Coriander
1 (14 3/4 oz.) can Cream-style corn
1 (8.5 oz.) box Corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy or Martha White)
1 (4 oz.) can Chopped green chiles, drained (choose mild or hot to taste)
Cooking spray
1 (10 oz.) can Red enchilada sauce (such as Old El Paso)
2 cups Cooked chicken breast, shredded or thin sliced
1/2 cup Green bell pepper, diced

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese, milk, egg, cumin, black pepper, coriander, cream-style corn, corn muffin mix, and the green chilies in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken and green peppers and then sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
4. Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
5. Cut into 6 or 8 pieces and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment