Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Five-Spice Tilapia with Broccoli


Five-Spice Tilapia with Broccoli

I know Lent is drawing to an end - but it is always good to have nice fish options in our cookbook. I have enjoyed eating Tilapia done well, but I have not be thrilled with the way that I have been cooking it at home. I have been carrying around this recipe for Five-Spice Tilapia a long time. I have this folder that goes back and forth with me to work - waiting for inspiration or something. Well tonight, I took this recipe and played with it a great deal. I loved the way it came out. It was really a great taste with the Chinese Five-spice and soy sauce based sauce. The other thing I am excited about was using my paella pan. I have had this forever, and have not used it. When I discovered that I needed a big pan for four pieces of fish with the veggies, using the paella pan made great sense. I did not put it in the oven, but it gave me all the surface area I needed. If you do not have a paella pan, you can use a large skillet. This dish came out amazing and I will definitely make these again!

Ingredients (4 servings):
1 lbs Tilapia fillets
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
6 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tbsp Light brown sugar
1 tsp Garlic, chopped (or one clove)
2 tbsp Peanut oil, divided
2-3 cups Broccoli florets (2 crowns)
1 8oz can, Water chestnuts (sliced)

Directions:
1. Sprinkle one sides of tilapia fillets with half the five-spice powder (reserve the other half tsp).
2. Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic in a small bowl.
3. Heat one tbsp of peanut oil in a large skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and water chestnuts and saute for 5 minutes (stirring often). Push the broccoli and water chestnuts off to the side of the pan and add the other tbsp of oil.
4. Add the tilapia (spice side down) and cook for about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle the other half tsp of Chinese five-spice powder on the tilapia while it cooks.
5. Reduce heat to medium, turn the fish over & cover with the soy sauce mixture. Cook for 3 minutes more and remove from heat.

Serve with rice! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment