Sunday, March 25, 2012
Shrimp and Cashews Stir-fry
This recipe was loosely adapted from a Food Network recipe for Spicy Shrimp, Celery, and Cashew Stir-fry. I took out some of the things I do not like and added Pam's favorites in stir-frys - broccoli, water chestnuts and mushrooms. Love the way this came out!
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings):
2 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tbsp Cooking sherry (or regular sherry)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch (divided)
1 lbs Shrimp, peeled and cleaned
3 tbsp Peanut Oil (divided)
2 Crowns Broccoli, trimmed with stems no more than 1 inch
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (can increase to 3/4 cup to taste)
1 can (8 oz.) Water Chestnuts, Sliced
6 oz White mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half (if larger)
3 tsp Garlic, chopped
1. Mix soy sauce, cooking sherry, sesame oil and 1 tsp cornstarch in a bowl and set aside.
2. Sprinkle 1/2 cornstarch on the shelled shrimp.
3. Heat 2 tbsp peanut oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large saute pan. Add broccoli, water chestnuts and cashews and stir-fry for around 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional minute. Then transfer broccoli mix to a serving bowl.
4. Heat 1 tbsp peanut oil in the pan and add the shrimp. Cook for around 2 minutes as the shrimp turns pink. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
5. Return the broccoli mix to the pan and mix. Add the soy sauce mix and stir for around one more minute.
Enjoy with rice or noodles.