Sunday, February 16, 2014
Chicken with Mushrooms and Broccoli
Here is a recipe that can actually be called a Corey-original. Well, insofar as any recipe can be called an original, but you get the idea. So in our renewed push to eat healthy and the scale back on carbs - while increasing vegetables, we created this dish. The nice part about this is that with the walnuts, it is very filling without putting this atop rice or served with potatoes. It reheats really nice for lunch options as well. While I do not have the health stats, it appears to be something that even Dr. Oz might approve of. Well, he might not say it is really horrible! Health aside, the dish is great and I loved the way it came out.
Ingredients (Makes 3 servings)
2 tbsp Olive oil
1/3 cup Broth (chicken or vegetable)
3 tbsp Cooking sherry
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Corn starch
2 Chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
1/2 tsp Thyme, dried
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
2 crowns Broccoli
16 oz Mushrooms (baby bellas or white), sliced
1/2 cup Walnuts
1. Heat oil in saute pan over medium-high heat. In a bowl, whisk together broth, cooking sherry, vinegar and corn starch.
2. Season chicken breasts with thyme, kosher salt and black pepper. Add to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add broccoli and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
5. Add walnuts and mix thoroughly. Then add broth mixture, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
Enjoy with or without rice.
NOTE: You can replace broccoli with asparagus or green beans if you would like.