Sunday, August 16, 2020

Slow-Cooker Cuban-Style Black Beans

Slow-Cooker Cuban-Style Black Beans

I really miss the Caribbean. I have been thinking that I needed to cook some dishes with Cuban black beans - so I thought I would start with a basic recipe that I have wanted to try for some time. This recipe was adapted from EatingWell's Slow-Cooker Cuban-Style Black Beans.  I thought I would try this and loved the way that it turned out.  I served with with grilled chicken.  Soon, I will mix it with rice (brown or white) and think it should be wonderful.  This was easy to make and it tastes fantastic.  It might not be 100% authentic Cuban cooking - but it will work for me!  It will be a regular dish as I try to mix up dishes that give me a sense of the Caribbean!

Ingredients (makes 10-12 servings)

1 lbs Dried black beans (about 2 1/3 cups)
3 1/2 cups Chicken or vegetable stock (low-sodium or unsalted)
2 cups Water
1 White onion (large), peeled and quartered through root
1 Green bell pepper, diced coarsely (1/2" pieces")
2 Bay leaves
2 tsp Oregano, dried
1 tsp, Black pepper
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 Red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 tsp Garlic, chopped (or cloves)
1 tbsp Cumin, ground
2 tbsp Tomato paste
½ cup Cilantro, chopped (around one bunch)

Directions

1. Sort and wash the beans. 
2. Stir together the beans, chicken stock, water, onion, green bell pepper, bay leaves, oregano and black pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until the beans are tender, 9 to 11 hours. Discard the onion and bay leaves.
3. When the beans are mostly done, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the red bell pepper and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring often for around 8-10 minutes.  
4. Add the cumin to the skillet and stir until well blended (just under a minute).  Add the tomato paste to the skillet and stir until well blended (1-2 minutes).
5. Add contents from the skillet and the cilantro to the black beans.  Blend until full mixed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment