Saturday, September 8, 2012
Smoked Salmon Pasta
I have had this 8 oz package of smoked salmon (Portlock Wild Smoked Salmon) that I bought in Seattle, Washington a LONG time ago. These things have a long shelf life - the expiration date is December 2013....HONESTLY! So I took a few different recipes (though mostly from this recipe from Mehan Dossani for Tomato and Smoked Salmon Pasta) I found and created this.... Really liked it - might try it again the next time I have smoked salmon.
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
1 12-14 oz pound box of pasta (spaghetti or penne - we use whole grain or equivalent)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
4 oz Mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tsp Garlic, finely chopped (or 2 cloves)
Kosher salt and black pepper (to taste - no more than 1/4 of a tsp)
1 14.5 oz can Petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup White wine
1/4 tsp Dill weed
2 tbsp Heavy cream
8 oz Smoked Salmon, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup Basil, shredded
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and kosher salt and black pepper (to taste - around 1/4 tsp of each at most). Cook, stirring occasionally, for around 3-4 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, wine, and dill weed to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low and add 2 tbsp of heavy cream and stir for around 1 minute.
5. Stir in salmon and then remove from heat. Mix thoroughly and then add basil. When blended, pour on the pasta.
Add Parmesan cheese as desired.