Monday, September 10, 2012
Penne with Sausage & Basil Sauce
Adapted from this recipe for Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Mushrooms from Bon Appétit (August 2002).
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
19 oz Sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed, crumbled
2 tbsp Olive oil
12 oz Mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 Large onion (or 2 medium ones), chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup Fresh basil, shredded
1 tbsp Oregano (dried)
1 tbsp Parsley (dried)
1/4 tsp Kosher salt (more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp Black pepper (more or less to taste)
1/2 cup Dry white wine
28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
14.5 oz Can petite diced tomatoes
14-16 oz Penne or other pasta
1. Place the turkey sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break up the sausage as it cooks for around 12-14 minutes (or until it is brown). Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl (leaving the drippings in the pan).
2. Add olive oil to drippings in pot. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until for around 10 minutes.
3. Add basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper to the pan; then sauté for around 1 minute.
4. Add wine to the pan and cook for around 4 minutes.
5. Add sausage, crushed tomatoes and petite tomatoes to the pan and mix thoroughly. Lower the heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook for around 25 minutes.
6. While the pasta sauce is cooking during this last step, prepare the pasta as directed.
Pour the sauce over the pasta and enjoy!