Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Chicken, Potato, and Leek Pie
Recipe adapted from Julianna Grimes's great recipe from Cooking Light (August 2012). I need to make this again but I will do it in a bigger dish. Also, I think I will try to adapt this with chicken breast.
2 slices Center cut smoked bacon, chopped
1 1/2 cups cubed red potato (around 7 small red skins)
2 cups chopped carrots
6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 tbsp Flour
2 cups leeks (about 1), sliced thin
1 White onion, sliced thin
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/4 tsp Paprika
2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
2 cups Mashed Potatoes (enough to cover the baking dish with a thin layer - boxed will work fine)
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until almost crisp, stirring frequently.
3. Increase heat to medium-high and add potato and carrot to pan. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chicken and sauté for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in flour, leeks, onion, kosher salt, black pepper and paprika. Sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
6. Slowly add broth to pan, stirring constantly and bring to a boil. Cook 3-4 minutes (it will become thicker). Then spoon the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart (or larger) glass or ceramic baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the mixture.
7. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until potatoes are browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.