Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Fiddles and Drums (Fiddleheads & Mushrooms)
I had fiddleheads once - probably 15 years ago in Pittsburgh. Since I have been cooking alot recently, I wanted to try to cook them. I found them at Busch's and decided to give it a shot. I really liked these and kinda borrowed from four different recipes I found on the web. The season is almost over - but these are really great.
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
2 tbsp Olive oil
8oz White Mushrooms, stems removed and cut into quarters (bigger ones) or halves (smaller ones)
1-2 tsp Garlic, chopped
Additional kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the fiddleheads in cold water for around 5-10 minutes. Rinse.
2. In a small pan, bring 2 cups of water to boil with 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Add fiddleheads and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and
rinse with cold water.
3. Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for around 2 minutes.
4. Add fiddleheads to the pan with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Cook for around 5 minutes
5. Add garlic and cook for one more minute and remove from heat.
NOTE: Here is a <a href="http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/kitchen-cuisine/fiddlehead-fougere-eng.php">food safety page from Health Canada</a> on cooking with fiddleheads. The size of the fiddleheads might require more time in the boiling water. The ones I cooked were rather small.