Saturday, July 8, 2017
Mushroom and Sausage Mini-quiches
We have made these a few times and they are wonderful! I adapted this recipe from Eating Well (one of my favorite sites). We added more sausage to match with the package sizes we can easily get here. These have (I think) around 150 calories and lots of protein. We have one or two for breakfast or lunch - they reheat very easily - around 30-40 seconds for one and 60 seconds for two. This recipe makes 12 mini-quiches (a full muffin pan's worth) and they are pretty sturdy. These are great to have on hand for a quick breakfast or snack!
Ingredients (makes 12 mini-quiches)
12 oz Turkey breakfast sausage (removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces)
2 tsp Olive oil
8 oz Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Swiss cheese, finely shredded
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1 cup Skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, breaking it up as it cooks, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
3. Add olive oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5-7 minutes. Stir in Swiss cheese, Kosher salt and black pepper.
4. Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups (to around 2/3 of the height of the muffin cup). Spoon in a heaping tablespoon of the sausage and mushroom mixture into each cup.
5. Bake in oven for around 27-29 minutes, or until tops are just beginning to brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. The easy way to get the mini-quiches out is to flip the pan over a rimmed baking sheet and they should pop right out.