Monday, January 16, 2017
Mediterranean Chicken With Tomatoes and Capers
One of my favorite recipe sites is the wonderful Cooking with the New York Times. I have seen their recipe for a while for Chicken Breasts With Tomatoes and Capers and have wanted to make this. This just looked like a great and healthy option when you are looking for something great to cook in a hurry. The best part is that you can make most of this with freezer and pantry staples, so it can come together quickly and without a ton of prep. It is also very easy to pull together. The chicken comes out super moist (and tasty).
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 Chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
1/2 tsp Kosher salt (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp Black pepper (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Butter
1 Shallot, finely chopped
3 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Tarragon, dried
1 tsp Oregano, dried
14.5 oz can Petite diced tomatoes
1/4 cup Red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Capers, drained
1 cup Dry white wine (or cooking wine)
1 tbsp Tomato paste
1. Sprinkle chicken with Kosher salt and black pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the chicken breasts and saute over medium-high heat, turning the pieces after 4 minutes and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan and cook for an additional minute.
4. Add tarragon, oregano, tomatoes (with liquid), vinegar, capers, wine and tomato paste. Bring to a boil as you stir to dissolve the brown particles on the bottom of the skillet.
5. Cover and lower to medium. Simmer for 9-11 minutes.
Enjoy with rice!