Saturday, February 13, 2016

Chicken & Chickpea Stew


Chicken & Chickpea Stew


I found this great new recipe from Eating Well for 
Middle Eastern Chicken & Chickpea Stew.  I was actually in the waiting area for my annual checkup when I found this recipe (not sure where my copy is at home).  This looked like a great recipe and one that would be fantastic for the new year.  I played with this a bit and added some more veggies so I could eat it all by itself.  If you wanted to serve this with rice or another grain, I think it would be perfect.  I love a chicken stew and this was fantastic.  I except it will be great for lunches as well!

Ingredients (4-5 servings)

1 tbsp Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tbsp Olive oil
10-12 Kalamata olives, pitted
1 tbsp Capers, drained
1 Yellow onion (medium), chopped
1 Green pepper, diced
1 14-ounce can Petite diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can Chickpeas, rinsed
1/3 cup Chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 tbsp Parsley, dried

Directions
  1. Whisk garlic, kosher salt, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and black pepper in a bowl. Add chicken and let marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator. 
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olives, capers, onion and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 6 to 8 minutes. 
  3. Add chicken with marinade to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice, chickpeas, broth and dried parsley and mix until well blended.
  4. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes more, stirring once or twice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment