Sunday, January 24, 2016

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts

I never thought I would be a fan of brussels sprouts.  As a kid, these would be steamed, bland, healthy and well, very hard to eat!  But more and more over the past 20 years, chefs have done a great job of making these once feared veggies into a real treat.  The trick for most of these methods of cooking is adding bacon or deep frying.  I did not want to try this...I want to try to do this a bit on the healthy side...and I like how this came out.

I pieced this together from a number of recipes I found on the web.  I triangulated them and it make a great dish that was tasty and healthier (I am pretty sure) than many that I found on the web and in cookbooks.  This was a very simple dish to make (which is always nice).  Enjoy this as a side dish.

Ingredients (serves 4-5 as a side)

1 lbs Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
1 tbsp & 1 tsp Olive oil
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/3 cup Walnuts

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, add brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper.  Add to a roasting pan or cookie sheet (with rim).  Spread out in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the oven.  Add walnuts and mix thoroughly.  Return to the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes more.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment