Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Berry Peach Fruit Crisp
We have a great program at the University of Michigan (where I work) called MHealthy. They are focused on improving the health and well-being of the University's staff, faculty, students and their families. Periodically, they offer cooking demonstrations where they showcase healthy recipes that are easy to make at home. They also have recipes available to everyone over the web. I adapted the recipe for this great dessert from their Peach Blueberry Crisp recipe. This dish is a new favorite. Its very easy to make and it tastes fantastic! Did I mention it is healthy...really healthy!
Ingredients (makes 9" x 13" pan - serves 6-8)
12 oz-16 oz Frozen peach slices
12 oz-16 oz Frozen cherries or mixed berries
12 oz Frozen blueberries
2/3 cup Brown sugar, divided
3 tbsp Instant tapioca
1 1/2 cup Old fashioned oats
1/2 cup Almonds, sliced
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 Egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the frozen fruit, 1/3 cup brown sugar and tapioca in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Spread fruit mixture into a 9" x 13" baking dish.
4. In a bowl (the same one that you used for the fruit is fine), mix 1/3 brown sugar, oats, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg and egg whites. Distribute topping evenly over the fruit in the baking dish.
5. Place dish in the middle of the oven and bake 45-50 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Let sit for 10 minutes before enjoying!
NOTE: You want to have around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of frozen fruit - mix and match as you like!