We have been wanting to make healthy Chicken Pot Pie recipe. That is coming someday. In the meanwhile, I wanted to make a lighter version of the Steak Tips with Mushroom Gravy. So this is kinda a second generation recipe from Cooking Light! This new dish, called Chicken Casserole, is pretty healthy and is really quite good over noodles. We definitely liked it - a great comfort food for a cold day. I figure it will reheat very well for lunch. This was definitely a very good meal and we will try it again. It is a nice healthy alternative to the Cream of Mushroom based casseroles for sure.
Ingredients (Makes around 4 servings - perfectly served over noodles, rice or with mashed potatoes).
2 tbsp Olive oil, divided
2 Chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into think strips
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1/2 tsp Kosher salt, divided
1 Onion (small), finely chopped
1 (8-ounce) package White or Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
2 cups Frozen peas and carrots (or mixed frozen vegetables)
2 tsp Garlic, chopped
2 tbsp Cooking sherry
4 tbsp Flour (all-purpose)
1/2 tsp Thyme (dried)
1/2 tsp Celery seeds
1 1/2 cups Beef broth
Directions (you are on your own for noodles, rice or potatoes)
1. Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray and add steak. Sauté for around 7 minutes until it is browned on both sides. Remove chicken (with any juices) from pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
3. Heat remaining olive oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions, mushrooms , and frozen peas and carrots (or vegetables) and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
4. Add garlic and cooking sherry and sauté for around 30 seconds (until mixed).
5. Sprinkle flour, thyme, celery seeds, and both the remaining pepper & kosher salt over mushroom mixture and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Then gradually add the chicken broth, stirring constantly. Bring the mushroom mix to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to pan and cook 1 minute longer.
Serve over noodles, rice or potatoes.