This is an adaptation of a family recipe that I got from my mom. I loved making this for the holidays - but it is not a dish that everyone loved. Please note that this recipe makes a ton - freeze part of it since you will never eat it all.
2 Onions (medium sized) - sliced thinly in a mandolin
2 Shallots - sliced thinly in a mandolin
3-4 tbps Olive Oil
1 head of Red Cabbage - sliced at the thicker level (~1/4" thick) after removing outer layers (Sometimes cabbages can be too much - so use as much as you want above 1/2 a head).
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Whole Apple - Peeled and Chopped
1-2 cups Roasted Peeled Chestnuts (around 11 ounces)
1. Heat Olive Oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add Onions and Shallots and saute until brown 6-8 minutes.
2. Add sliced Cabbage to pot and mix.
3. Add Salt & Peper to mix and then add water to cover around 3/4 of the ingredients.
4. Lower heat and simmer for one hour.
5. Add Chopped Apples and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
6. Add Chestnuts and simmer for an additional 45 minutes.