Thursday, March 5, 2009
1 pound pasta - any will do (I like penne or rigatoni)
4 cloves garlic, chopped (or 4 teaspoons)
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound shrimp (31/40 count) - increase to taste
1 small onion, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, whitecap, sliced
1 package fresh arugula (around 5 oz)
1 package fresh baby spinach (around 8 oz)
4-6 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes - cut into thin strips.
1 bunch fresh basil, cut into strips (you can replace with a much smaller amount of dried basil if you do not have any fresh)
2-3 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta as directed
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. You will need a big pan for this as the greens need room to wilt.
3. Add 2 cloves (chopped) of garlic, cook for 30 seconds and then add shrimp. Saute the shrimp until they are pink, remove from pan and leave covered under foil to keep warm.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil; add remaining garlic and the small chopped onion; cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chopped mushrooms, cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add greens (arugula and spinach). Using tongs (I think that is what they are called), work the greens into the heat until it is fully coated and starting to wilt. As you are mixing, this should take just a few minutes.
7. When the greens are wilted, add sun-dried tomatoes; cook for 1 minute, then add shrimp and fresh basil.
8. Add pasta and mix in the pan, cover for around one minute.
9. Add 2-3 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan cheese and cook for around one more minute.